Framed-IP-Address Question

tnt at kalik.net tnt at kalik.net
Sun Jan 18 19:01:16 CET 2009

>I'm using freeradius in our club to authenticate several Notebooks using EAP-TLS
>certificates. The IP-addresses are given from a local dhcp-server. I'm further
>using access-points from Netgear (WG102) as they provide Accounting informations
>when using with freeradius.
>
>With the tool radwho which is provided from freeradius a can easily see which
>clients are connected to the different access-points.
>Now I recognized that for some clients also the local IP-address, which was
>given to the clients from the local dhcp-server, is shown as "Framed-IP-Address"
>when running "radwho -R" but only for SOME clients not for ALL.
>
>I would like to write a small script using radwho in order to log the ip-adress
>for each client on login/logout.

Look up detail module in freeradius. It logs the whole Accounting-Request
to a text file, but you can filter out what you don't want. Or sql
module to log into the database. Again, queries are configurable - log
only what you want.

>Can anyone tell me why the "Framed-IP-Address" is only shown for some clients
>and what I would have to do that it is show for all clients which are connected
>to local network?

It works as reliably as your network. If some requests don't make it to
the radius server - no records are created.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP