Getting the number of currently tracked requests

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Mar 3 17:11:19 CET 2014

Louis Munro wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to get the number of currently tracked
> connections by FreeRADIUS (2.2.1) in order to size my max_requests.

  In 2.x, not really.  We're looking into adding that for 3.x

> I realize I can always set it to some value based on the number of
> clients and just see if there are warnings in the logs about
> max_requests being too low but I would like to monitor the number of
> requests to tune FR as much as possible.

  Just set it to a large number.  It's 2014, and your systems should be
massively over-provisioned with memory.  If you set

	max_request = 1000000

  Then FR won't use any more memory than with it set to "1024".  The
only difference is that when something goes wrong, it will take more
time for the server to discover that it's melting down.