FreeRadius + EAP-AKA support

Kumar, Sunil Sunil.Kumar at safenet-inc.com
Thu Feb 19 09:45:43 CET 2009

Hi,

We are trying to use FreeRadius1.1.4 as authentication server for
EAP-AKA implementation with our product toolkit.

As per the RFC 4187

AT_RES
The value field of this attribute begins with the 2-byte RES Length,
which identifies the exact length of the RES in bits.  The RES length
is followed by the AKA RES parameter. According to [TS33.105], the
length of the AKA RES can vary between 32 and 128 bits.  Because the
length of the AT_RES attribute must be a multiple of 4 bytes, the
sender pads the RES with zero bits where necessary.

In the freeradius1.1.4 implementation, for EAP-AKA the value of RES
length is always considered as constant EAPSIM_RES_SIZE (16). It doesn't
take care of the values other than 16 bytes.

We in our toolkit needs to support all the variable length of RES values
from 32 bits (4 bytes) to 128 bits (16 bytes). So I have modified the
FreeRadius implementation for the same support.

The intention of writing such mail is to get the information that if
somebody has already noticed and fixed this issue in the latest
releases, so please share that information as well.

In case it's not been fixed as yet, then may be I could contribute my
patch for freeradius 1.1.4 version to support all variable length RES
value varying from 32 bits to 128 bits.

Thanks.

Warm regards.
Sunil Kumar