mysql replication vs. radrelay

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Apr 21 18:02:17 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-20-04 at 10:08 +0200, Olaf Schaefer wrote:
> > http://sphinx.incentre.net/radius.html
>
> Not bad. I've began something similar only for IP pools but Peter Nixon
> announced an sql_ippool module which also stores the configuration
> information in the mysql-DB, so I stopped coding and witing for it :)
>

> > Let me know what you think.
>
> It's a good basis to make freeradius fully configurable via dialup
> admin. It shouldn't be that difficult to generate config files using the
> variables of your parser.
>
> When I have my production system running (migration from MS-IAS to
> freeradius) I'm going to do some efforts in this direction.
>
> Olaf

I have given up on dialup-admin for now. It seemed broken when
I tested the version that comes with 1.1.1, and there are parts
that need too much work for what I want. I also don't like the
php3 extensions since it is in php4 and have been unable to
have those and some other changes accepted in CVS. I have not
fully read the licence dialup-admin uses so I decided to start
from scratch without referencing it at all.

Unfortunately I haven't had any time to continue with this
project lately, and you are the first one to respond to me about
it. I have a Cisco NetFlow analyzer and traffic accounting system
that I need to write as well. I am also considering using C
and the wxWidget cross platform libraries to design a more
comprehensive Integrated Management System, but I will need
to learn how to build a GUI app first. So far I have only built
console and web based GUI apps, but PHP and Java may not work
for the end project.

I will need hierarchal administration and access control for
my implementation. The system will also need the ability to search
for related accounts and quickly navigate between them, and produce
reports and audit trails. Since I have experience accessing
PostgreSQL in C and have some libraries I built for our current
system, it may not be overly difficult to build a proper
cross platform GUI interface. I have Windows, Linux, FreeBSD
as well as PPC and Intel Macs with OS9 and OS X in our office
now and have had a similar variety in the past, which is why
I had been using web based GUI projects in the past, but I
recently cam across a tutorial for wxWidgets.

I got a ton of stuff to do today, see you later.