mysql replication vs. radrelay

Olaf Schaefer olaf_freeradius at ojsch.de
Tue Apr 25 07:19:06 CEST 2006

> I have given up on dialup-admin for now. It seemed broken when

for now but not forever ;)

> I tested the version that comes with 1.1.1, and there are parts
> that need too much work for what I want. I also don't like the

I use  version 1.80 from the CVS snapshot. It seems quit stable

> php3 extensions since it is in php4 and have been unable to

Yes, the php3 extension are funny

> have those and some other changes accepted in CVS. I have not

What do you mean?    ^^^

> fully read the licence dialup-admin uses so I decided to start

After you mentioned the licence issue I got curious and searched
dialup-admin. I found:

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

> from scratch without referencing it at all.

That sounds like much work

> that I need to write as well. I am also considering using C
> and the wxWidget cross platform libraries to design a more
> comprehensive Integrated Management System, but I will need

Ambitious plan :) Do want to do it all on your own?

> to learn how to build a GUI app first. So far I have only built
> console and web based GUI apps, but PHP and Java may not work
> for the end project.

> I will need hierarchal administration and access control for
> my implementation. The system will also need the ability to search
> for related accounts and quickly navigate between them, and produce
> reports and audit trails. Since I have experience accessing

In my eyes that's all "only" ;) a question of DB-queries. So I don't see
the advantage (for my needs) of programing a new "DB-Interface". Have
you tried "freeside" (http://www.sisd.com/freeside)?. I can't tell you
much about it I only had a glance at it. AFAIK it offers for instance
automated invoices.

CU
Olaf

--