mysql replication vs. radrelay

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Apr 28 00:00:30 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-25-04 at 07:19 +0200, Olaf Schaefer wrote:
> > I have given up on dialup-admin for now. It seemed broken when
>
> for now but not forever ;)
Who knows.;-)

> > I tested the version that comes with 1.1.1, and there are parts
> > that need too much work for what I want. I also don't like the
> >
> I use  version 1.80 from the CVS snapshot. It seems quit stable

1.8 ?

> > php3 extensions since it is in php4 and have been unable to
> >
> Yes, the php3 extension are funny
>
> > have those and some other changes accepted in CVS. I have not
>
> What do you mean?    ^^^
A fair while ago I spent a considerable amount of time making
patches to allow dialup_admin to work with PostgreSQL and
NetSNMP. I also made some other enhancements which are noted in
a file in the documentation directory. The last batch of patches
I submitted were not accepted, and after a while I gave up on
it to work on other more urgent projects.

> > fully read the licence dialup-admin uses so I decided to start
>
> After you mentioned the licence issue I got curious and searched
> dialup-admin. I found:
>
> "This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
> 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

That's right. I would have to study the GPL and FSF licences,
to understand the implications.

> > from scratch without referencing it at all.
>
> That sounds like much work
It's like eating an Elephant. Start off with small bites, and
just keep on munching, until eventually your done.

> > that I need to write as well. I am also considering using C
> > and the wxWidget cross platform libraries to design a more
> > comprehensive Integrated Management System, but I will need
>
> Ambitious plan :) Do want to do it all on your own?
I am still mulling it over.

> > to learn how to build a GUI app first. So far I have only built
> > console and web based GUI apps, but PHP and Java may not work
> > for the end project.
>

> > I will need hierarchal administration and access control for
> > my implementation. The system will also need the ability to search
> > for related accounts and quickly navigate between them, and produce
> > reports and audit trails. Since I have experience accessing
>
> In my eyes that's all "only" ;) a question of DB-queries. So I don't see
> the advantage (for my needs) of programing a new "DB-Interface". Have
> you tried "freeside" (http://www.sisd.com/freeside)?. I can't tell you
> much about it I only had a glance at it. AFAIK it offers for instance
> automated invoices.
My Boss ruled it out. He doesn't want a bunch of bits and pieces
that are loosely coupled. Unfortunately, what he wants to use
it too limited to do what is needed, but is easy to use. The
things that are almost what we need are usually too difficult
or the accountants rule them out. There was a lot of "training"
to get our current system where we wanted it, now there are
no old dogs that want to learn new tricks.:^(

The only way I will get anything through, is if I can seamlessly
integrate into what they want, or make something that does
everything required from a single application, so there are no
more multiple entries situations that are required to maintain
accounts.