noob with some questions

Eric Hilden eric at linkednetworks.com
Fri Aug 4 15:23:07 CEST 2006

Sorry to jump in here, but I feel like I have to defend something I
believe in now.

I haven't read this entire thing, but I can say I have seen this a
hundred times. If you cannot read or clearly understand the topic in the
extensive documentation provided. Then you need to find someone else who
knows Unix or BSD. There is no way anyone is going to give you a simple
answer. The FreeBSD/Unix/Linux community provides vast amounts of
documentation, research, and help. First look for your answer by going
through old mailing lists, type in errors you are receiving in google,
or other easy troubleshooting tips. But don't expect to say I can't get
it to work and tell me how to make it work. I will admit I am a complete
FreeBSD/Unix noob, but I have spent countless hours now playing with the
operating system, pulling my hair out, and ready to blow it up. But that
frustrating process is the knowledge base I develop in knowing how a
particular program works.

As far as paying someone or a commercial product. Go for it. 1000% mark
up on something that is already free. If you do not have the time,
patience, or know how, then by all means this is your best solution. 99%
of the companies go look at licensing agreements. You will see a lot of
it documents back to what is already Open Source and Free.

PS.
As an end note it is just as fucking stupid as I post Message of Days
for employees that never read it and always ask what are we doing. I
can't answer 100's of the same question everyday. That is why the
DOCUMENTATION is very well written generally, and lots of time goes into
it. Hell you can figure out Unix by just installing the MAN pages and
taking the time to play with the commands; then I see you as one of my
fellow X-Employees that lied on resume of knowing how to READ something
that is right in front of you everyday. So don't expect people not to
get pissed face.