About Monthly Time Limits

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Mar 14 00:40:09 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-13-03 at 15:39 -0500, Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are an ISP. As many ISP's do these days, we outsource our dialup numbers
> to wholesalers such as Megapops, etc. but we maintain our own radius
> servers. The wholesaler proxies radius requests to us.
>
> The following is kind of  hypothetical, but I need to know this in order to
> understand how all this works.
>
> I have monthly time limits set up in my Freeradius. When customers login,
> where exactly does the information come from that tells Freeradius "This
> customer is OK, he has not used up his time limit yet" or "Reject this
> customer, he has used up his limit for this month".  Is this dependent on
> something in the radius config at the wholesalers end, or is this info taken
> from my db.monthly file?
>
> Another way of asking this question (in case I'm not making myself clear
> which is always a possibility) is:
>
> Does the wholesaler have to support monthly time limits or can I do it all
> from my end (whether or not the wholesaler supports such an attribute)?
>
> Any info about how this process works will probably help clear up my
> thinking.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lisa Casey

You will want to use a monthly counter.

Personally I would prefer a rlm_sqlcounter, and slightly modify
the rlm_sql queries to provide a maximum session time of the time
left as an attribute.

The whole thing is very configurable and it's kind of left up
to the admin to tweek the configs for there own unique purpose.