v1.1.1 build problems (SSL, EAP)

Bill Roberts bill.roberts at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 06:08:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm just posting my experiences in building v1.1.1 in case it is of use
to anyone else with similar problems.  My system is Solaris 10 Sparc,
Freeradius v1.1.1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a, Sun compiler version 5.7 (SunStudio 10).

I ran configure like this:

./configure --with-raddbdir=/usr/local/etc/raddb
--with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/ssl/include
--with-openssl-libraries=/usr/local/ssl/lib

(OpenSSL 0.9.8a is installed in /usr/local/ssl)

In the midst of the configure output I saw this:

configure: warning: skipping test for openssl/ssl.h

This ultimately caused compilation errors in rlm_eap_peap.c:

"../../libeap/eap_tls.h", line 138: syntax error before or at: SSL
"../../libeap/eap_tls.h", line 141: syntax error before or at: BIO
"../../libeap/eap_tls.h", line 186: syntax error before or at: SSL
"../../libeap/eap_tls.h", line 186: warning: undefined or missing type
for: SSL
"../../libeap/eap_tls.h", line 187: warning: undefined or missing type
for: cons

When I investigated by looking at the config.log there was a "not found"
error for libcrypto.  It turns out that the configure script has this
line in the "test for libcrypto" section:

LIBS="-lcrypto $LIBS"

In my case, this expands to:

-lcrypto -L/usr/local/ssl/lib .....<other stuff deleted>....

Which means libcrypto is not found because it is listed before the -L
directive telling the compiler where it can be found.

OK, easy fix, so I edit configure and change the LIBS line to be "$LIBS
-lcrypto".  This gets me past the libcrypto test but the scsript then
fails the next test for libssl and I can't use the same fix (I suspect
for reasons related to library order).  In the end I decide to fudge the
crypto and ssl tests by removing the DH_new(); and SSL_new(); calls from
the conftest C programs.  Everything then builds OK until rlm_perl.c
when I see:

"rlm_perl.c", line 165: syntax error before or at: CV

I found an article on the FreeRadius users mailing list archive (
http://www.archivesat.com/FreeRadius_users_mailing_list/thread357241.htm
) about rlm_eap compilation problems where it was suggested that
removing the rlm_eap directory would allow the build to finish and the
server to run.  So I removed src/modules/rlm_perl and
src/modules/rlm_eap and I now have a running server.

Regards,

Bill Roberts