Help getting rid "Info: WARNING: Child is hung for request" message

José Manuel jmanuel.macias at rediris.es
Mon Feb 8 09:40:03 CET 2010

Hi,

I have upgraded recently one of my servers to 2.1.8 (RHEL 5), and am
seeing thousands of messages like this in a day. It looks the message
was introduced with patch no. 139c45b4c51c945414b53ece36bbeb42edb1b2a7
from November 29.

I'm wondering what parameters should I tune to get these messages
disappear (and the possible underlying problem fixed, of course). The
auth backend is an openldap directory, but I have disregarded any
timeout issues by running the server in debug mode. Here are some of the
values I guess could be related with the cause of these messages:

-------

- radiusd.conf:

max_request_time = 30
cleanup_delay = 5
max_requests = 1024

thread pool {
        start_servers = 5
        max_servers = 32
        min_spare_servers = 3
        max_spare_servers = 10
        max_requests_per_server = 0
}

- proxy.conf

proxy server{
	retry_delay = 5
}

home_server localhost {
        type = auth
        ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
        port = 11812
        secret = XXXXX
        response_window = 20
        zombie_period = 40
        revive_interval = 120
        status_check = status-server
        check_interval = 30
        num_answers_to_alive = 3
}

-------

I'd appreciate some light on this issue. Except for the message, the
server is behaving correctly.

thanks in advance,

jose manuel.