github wiki

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 27 18:00:48 CEST 2010

Robert Wilkinson wrote:
> I want to thank you for your services.  Not just for myself but for
> everyone that you assisted over the years it seems. You are a tireless
> soldier. I have visited github made some notes on the Wiki there. I am
> dedicated to streamlining the process of installing FR.

  Thanks, but we already *have* a Wiki.  I would really prefer to not
add yet *another* location for documentation.

> The present system of passing information and knowledge can be daunting
> to new users. I nearly gave up myself due the sheer amount of old and
> misleading sources that exist.

  Yes... the existing Wiki has a number of out-of-date pages.  However,
the documentation that *comes with the server* is largely up to date.

> ps I still have a few issues with sql but I am certainly going in the
> right direction now. I have now spent 5 days and I have been worn
> out.

  Can you say which documentation you were reading, and why it was unclear?

  We can't improve the existing documentation until we know what is
wrong with it.  There have been many complaints about bad documentation,
which usually are because the person is reading 4 year-old guides on
third party web sites.

  *Please* read the documentation that comes with the server.  All of
the configuration files are *extensively* commented.