Windows 7 prompting several times

Ricardo89 rfonsecacardoso at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:06:43 CEST 2012

Hi Andy,
and thanks for your early reply.
Our wireless infrastructure is 3com. When we noticed this issue, and to
discard the possibility of being a problem of the hardware, we tested with a
Linksys/cisco wireless access point and the issue persisted.
In order to understand the problem, we installed a windows server 2003 and
the internet authentication server to test if the problem would be from the
freeradius. Then we discovered that must be some kind of difference between
the messages exchanged between a windows supplicant and a freeradius server
and a windows supplicant and a windows server 2003 running the internet
authentication server, because in the first case, when the password was
wrong the windows supplicant don't show us a message saying that the
password was wrong, simple asks for entering the password again and again.
In the second using the windows 2003 server and the internet authentication
server, when a wrong password was entered, the supplicant show a message
stating that the password was wrong.
Then we configured the internet authentication server to act as proxy, in
order to redirect the all the requests to our Linux freeradius server, and
the issue persisted. Then
we decided to set up our windows server 2003 and internet authentication
server to work as radius server and until now the issue seems to disappear.
With these tests, it seems that messages exchanged between a windows
supplicant and Linux radius server and windows supplicant and windows 2003
with the internet authentication server are different in some kind, and we
like to understand why in the case of a Linux radius server the user must
enter the credentials more than one time.
Best regards
Ricardo