"Usefull values" from documentation are hardcoded

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 6 16:59:06 CET 2013

Dario Šafar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the latest freeradius2.2.0 built from source.
>
> I have one simple question about "Useful values" that are given in
> documentation of freeradius proxy.conf file. Especially ones considering
> alive/zombie/dead times.
>
> I was trying to set up server to have 1 second revive_interval

  Why?  That is the same as *never* marking it dead.

> but to my
> surprise it was always 60 secs. Then I checked the source code and in
> realms.c file I've found:
>
> if (home->revive_interval < 60) home->revive_interval = 60;
> if (home->revive_interval > 3600) home->revive_interval = 3600;
>
> So the "Useful values" aren't really useful but mandatory values.

  Yes.

> Is it possible these restrictions would be removed? It would allow the
> user to set revive_interval (or any other variable value) to 1 sec if he
> chooses, without the need to build from edited source every time new
> version of freeradius is released.

  I would ask why you need this change.  The goal of the default
configuration is to ensure that the RADIUS system as a whole is stable.
 Sure, you can butcher it to cause the server to do all kinds of crazy
things.  But that usually will destroy *other* RADIUS servers.