Question on attributes

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 17 15:02:07 CET 2013

Tiago wrote:
> From man I have:

  Please don't quote the documentation here.  I've read it.

> May I ask you a bit of patience helping me on this? So, can I conclude
> that adding attributes to dictionary file will not make freeradius to
> send those to NAS?

  That is what the documentation says.

> But are they necessary to create sql pairs and so
> got from sql radreply?

  I'm not sure what you mean by that.

> So I didnt understand that, so entries with 3000-4000 numbers aren't
> placed on radius packet, can I conclude that the others are?

  No.

> but on
> the man it says that attributes are never exchanged. So I'm a bit
> confused here.

  It says the NAMES are never exchanged.  NAMES.  Not ATTRIBUTES.

> What I need to do to radius server send the attributes that are
> collected from my mysql database (radreply attrib)?

  Use attributes that are *supposed* to go into a RADIUS packet.  It has
nothing to do with MySQL.  The attributes can come from anywhere.

  You can't simply invent attribute numbers.  They are assigned via a
controlled process.  The numbers you used "78" and "79" are *already*
assigned to different attributes.

  You need to read the documentation for the PPOE server to see which
attributes it understands.  There's also a "dictionary.roaringpenguin"
file distributed with FreeRADIUS.  It defines attributes for the RP
PPPoE server, for upload and download rate limiting.

  Use that.