Issues with building Freeradius on CentOS 6.5: need rlm_cache

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jun 16 09:52:41 CEST 2014

On 16 Jun 2014, at 04:33, Brandon Jozsa <bjozsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah, that I get. unlang is for the overall freeradius logic for configuration files,

To make things simpler for users, we re-used the format of the update section
for anything map like in the modules, then you don't have to learn multiple
forms of attribute reference syntax.

Maybe we could rename it to 'map' to differentiate it, but you're the first
person who's had trouble understanding the concept in the 8 months since
the release of v3.0.x (where this format is used in more modules)
i'm inclined not to.

> but I thought that unlang couldn't be used in the modules?

Alan is saying it uses the same format as an 'update' section in the policy,
language. Thought using the same section name might hint that...

Is anyone else having trouble with understanding update blocks in rlm_cache,
rlm_ldap, rlm_couchbase? any suggestions to make them easier to use?

> just to be clear, do i need to change the configuration in the cache module or

The cache module, you need to configure it to store the attributes you want
put back into the request when it's called again later.

> in my default policy configuration? i was taking it that the policy suggestion would work if the cache module was written differently. i hate beating this to death...so i really apologize for dragging this out. i'm just trying to look for a quick way to capture everything being returned back from a proxy request, and write it to the local mysql db. the cache module logic is new to me, and i'm not sure why i'm not getting entries back into the sql database when using rlm_cache.

I'm not sure how you think caching responses from the proxy server is going
to insert missing attributes into your SQL directory...

You'd need to use SQL xlat for that.

FreeRADIUS Development Team