HOW TO WIRED 802.1x FreeRadius RHEL6 configuration for Dummies?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 7 13:51:08 CET 2015

On Nov 6, 2015, at 6:59 PM, lux xul <freeradiushelp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Following the Using radtest and the HOW-TOs on the freeRadius site I have
> configured and was able to verify that the freeRadius Server authenticates
> PAP and EAP-MD5. I have spent several days trying to locate how to
> configure the freeRadius server and 802.1x Port Security in a LINUX ONLY
> (no ms windows) and WIRED only test lab on one RHEL6 linux box. I want to
> eventually enlarge upon that n/w setup to include at least one separate
> client node. One step at a time.

  The main FreeRADIUS site points to docs on how to configure 802.1X.  See http:/deployingradius.com/

  If you want to know how to configure the client side... go read the docs for the client.  There are hundreds of possible 802.1X clients.  We can't document all of them.

> I find many tutorials on how to configure "freeRadius/802.1x client/server"
> on WIFI and in MSwindows environment, or a combination of linux and MS
> Windows.

  They should help you somewhat.

> Now, it may be my lack of experience and lack of linux/networking
> understanding, but I cannot confidently follow tutorials that are not in
> sync with my linux/wired only limitations, especially when written with
> certain assumptions of a knowledge / experience base/vocabulary that I do
> not possess at this time.

  Then learn.  If you think you can successfully configure a complex system you don't understand... you don't understand how complex it is.

> Question 2: Is there any available how to guide that may prove more basic
> and "for dummies" that I may use to step through a freeRadius/802.1x/Wired
> only/RHEL linux Only process?

  Ask RH how to configure their clients to do 802.1X.

  We document FreeRADIUS.